Guide to Aged Care

Residential Aged Care Fees

Residential aged care fees are comprised of two parts: the Daily fee and the Accommodation payment.

A. Daily Fee

The daily fee consists of: the basic daily fee, the means tested care fee

1. Basic Daily Fee

Every person in residential aged care is required to pay a basic daily fee, which covers all levels of care and assistance. This fee is set by the government and is based on approximately 85% of the single Australian aged pension. The basic daily fee includes: 24/7 nursing care, laundry, all meals, utility costs, cleaning and any in-house lifestyle activities. For residents who are assessed as eligible for government financial assistance, your accommodation contribution will be determined by the government.

2. Means Tested Care Fee

The government requires those who can afford to contribute more towards their care must do so. As such, the Department of Human Services will determine if a resident is required to pay a means tested care fee on top of their basic daily fee. This amount is based on an assessment of the new resident’s income and assets.

New residents need to complete and lodge an Income and Assets Assessment form ( SA457) with the department of Human Services. The Income and Assets Assessment form can be downloaded from the Department of Human Services: there are yearly and lifetime maximum means tested care fees, the department can be contacted on 1800 227 475.

B. Accommodation Payment Options

The total accommodation payment amount will vary depending on the accommodation type chosen by the resident. The payment method is also determined by the resident, who can choose between paying 1 of 3 types: a RAD, a DAP or a combination payment.

1. A Refundable Accommodation Deposit ( RAD)

A Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) is a one-off lump sum payment made to Medical & Aged Care Group. Details of RAD amounts for each room are published on the My Aged Care website at and also available on this website. The RAD is fully refundable on departure and replaces the old “bond” style of payment.

2. A Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP)

A Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) is a rental-type payment. Instead of paying the accommodation payment in full as a RAD, an ongoing daily payment can be selected. The DAP amount is calculated from the RAD amount at the government set interest rate. Like renting, no funds are returned when the resident leaves the MACG residence.

3.Combination Payment

Residents can opt to pay part of the accommodation payment as a lump sum RAD and then the balance via DAP payments. DAP payments will be calculated based on the outstanding RAD amount.

Will my basic daily fee increase?

Yes. Your basic daily fee will be indexed on 20 March and 20 September each year in line with increases to the Age Pension. The Department of Human Services will let you know when the increases occur.


What happens if I leave residential aged care ?

If the accommodation charge is paid as a lump sum (RAD) it is refundable, unless you choose to pay other charges from this. When you leave, your Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) will be refunded back to you. The timeframes under which the RAD will be refunded are legislated by the government, and are influenced by your particular circumstances.

Entering Care

All of our aged care residences are government funded and all potential residents need to be assessed  by the government as requiring care. This assessment lets us know what type of care your loved one may require.

1.How do I get an aged care assessment ?

If you are considering moving into one of our homes, you will first need an aged care assessment with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS). A member of the assessment service will talk to you about your current situation and help you work out what your options are.

ACAS cover all of Australia and are based in hospitals or in the local community. To find your local ACAS or more information about ACAS assessments, call 1800 200 422 or visit

My Aged Care is a website and contact centre, set up by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system.

What happens once your aged care assessment has been completed ?

The next step is to contact a Medical & Aged Care Group residence that will best suit your loved one and your family, our admissions teams are available to assist you with organising a personal tour of the chosen residence and answer any question you may have before entering care.












Step 1: Assessing your Eligibility

To find out if you are eligible for Australian Government support for residential aged care you will need to be assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS) team.

An ACAS assessment is a free assessment funded by the Australian Government, and is completed by a team of health professionals who provide information, advice and assistance to older people who are having difficulty living at home. The ACAS team will visit you and ask you questions about your lifestyle and health needs. This will enable the team to determine the best, and most appropriate, care option for you. This assessment then approves your eligibility for entry into residential aged care, in either low level care or high level care, or for a package of community care to assist you to continue living at home.

Low Level care homes (formerly known as hostels) generally provide accommodation and personal care which includes help with dressing and showering and occasional nursing care.

High Level care homes (previously known as nursing homes) offer care for people with greater frailty and who often need continuous nursing care.

If you have been approved by ACAS for high level residential care, or low or high level respite care, you will not need to be assessed again, unless your care needs change significantly. The assessment, for those requiring low level care, is valid for 12 months from the date the ACAS member signs the assessment form.

You can contact ACAS directly on 1800 200 422, or your doctor, health centre or local hospital can provide a referral to the ACAS nearest to you. A list of ACAS’s is also available on the Aged Care Australia website at


Step 2: Finding an Aged Care Home

Once you have been assessed by ACAS as being eligible for residential aged care, you may choose to start looking for your future aged care home. 

MAACG has residential aged care facilities across Melbourne, which cater for permanent or respite high care, low care and dementia specific needs. 
It is important to find the right MAACG home for you, therefore, call 1300 272 273 to book a tour to view our facilities.


Step 3: Working out the Cost

While the Australian Government helps with the cost of your residential aged care, by providing funding to aged care homes, it also expects those who can afford it to contribute to the cost. 

All residents in aged care can be asked to pay a daily fee and an accommodation payment.

  • Daily fees contribute towards your daily living costs, such as nursing and personal care, meals, linen and laundry, as well as heating and cooling.
  • Accommodation payments contribute towards the cost of your accommodation in an aged care home. You only pay this if your assets exceed an amount set by the Australian Government. This is agreed with your aged care home when you move in and will be either:
    • An accommodation bond, if you are in low level care, or in High Care Extra Service. A bond if determined based on the value of your assets. Accommodation bonds can be paid as a lump sum, via regular periodic payments or a combination of lump sum and periodic payments. A retention fee set and regulated by the Australian government is deducted from the bond for up to a maximum of 5 years.
    • An accommodation charge, if you are in high level care with assets over a certain threshold, in addition to the daily care fee.
  • An additional income tested fee can be charge for residents who have a higher income. This fee is dependent on the amount of assessable income you have above a certain level. Centrelink and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs will assess your income so that the Department of Health and Ageing can determine the amount of income tested fee you could be asked to pay.

For all current rates – please see refer to the Care Fees and Charges sheet


Step 4: Applying

Once you have selected an MAACG facility you are required to apply to be facility by providing the following documents:

  • Complete an Application Form (provided following a tour or call 0416 272 273)
  • A copy of your Aged Care Assessment (ACAS) (refer Step 1 above)
  • Centrelink/DVA Assets Assessment (only applicable if you are applying for a supported (concessional) place)


Step 5: Moving and Settling In

When you are offered and have accepted a place at MAACG, the manager of the facility or the admissions coordinator will arrange a pre admission meeting. At this meeting the manager will provide you with a Resident Agreement which is a formal agreement, between MAACG and the resident, that sets out the terms of your residency, your rights, and the responsibilities of MAACG. The manager will also ask that you complete additional forms prior to admission and will provide you with a resident information guide.

When settling into MAACG, you are more than welcome to bring in your own furnishings, whether it is a favourite chair or photos and memorabilia.

We look forward to welcoming you to the MAACG community and hope you enjoy your stay with us.


Further Information

The following contacts may be useful for further research and information:

Aged Care Australia 1800 200 422
Department of Health & Ageing 1800 052 222
Centrelink 13 2300
Department of Veterans’ Affairs 13 3254

Before entry into either low or high care government subsidised residential facility, an ACAS assessment must be undertaken to approve both your eligibility and what level of care you require. Referral to these can be made by your GP.

The Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) is a team of health professionals, such as doctors, nurses or social workers who provide information, advice and assistance the elderly who are having difficulty living at home.

This provides short term care for residents who intend to return to the community. It can be used on a planned or emergency basis to help with residents’ or your carer’s, illness, holidays or absence for any reason.

You apply for respite care exactly the same way as for permanent residential care. You must be assessed as eligible by the ACAS team.

We offer all levels except for home care.

Both Low and High levels of care provide accommodation, personal care/hygiene, and management of medication, dressing, mobility, recreational activities and emotional support.

  • Low Care (hostel) has access to varying degrees of nursing care depending on the individual facility.
  • High Care (nursing home) provides 24 hour nursing care.

Some homes specialise in low level care, some specialise in high level care and others provide both levels of care.